if you have a gift, give it

if you have a gift, give it - if you have a gift, give it - if you have a gift, give it - if you have a gift, give it - if you have a gift, give it - if you have a gift, give it - if you have a gift, give it - if you have a gift, give it - if you have a gift, give it - if you have a gift, give it - if you have a gift, give it - if you have a gift, give it - if you have a gift, give it - if you have a gift, give it -if you have a gift, give it - if you have a gift, give it

Saturday, March 19, 2011

The First Native American Pro Road Cyclist



"When I asked Cole House about the fact that he is the first Native American Pro Road Cyclist, his response was simple: “I had thought that, but I wasn’t sure. I know that I haven’t really heard of another pro cyclist in road racing.” Part of me thinks that he didn’t want to make a big deal about it, but he obvious recognizes the importance of him being Indigenous and a professional athlete. It begs the question, how can these humble quiet guys dig so damn deep?" - hands down the best paragraph i read today!


Dear Cole, 
Hope all is well down in Tuscan! Can't ride in Oneida during the winter or what? Who's gonna tend your fire? Today, I had the idea to google you for the first time. I don't know why I didn't think of it before. Anyways, great timing! Read a few articles and interviews about your career. I liked the one where that guy tracked you down, because he always imagined an indian runner on a bicycle, and then there you were. All that reading got me to thinking about riding down the hill in front of your house as fast as we could go. Then I remembered I'm about a half a football field behind. Oh, then there was Norbert Hill woods, I'm on a black magna and your on a red and white Trek. Your smiling and chuckling every turn and burm while I'm holding on for dear life. But, I don't care who you are. That's fun! 


Im starting a new small book project called The Gift Book. The idea came to me yesterday so I wanted to extrand on it and decided to go through a workbook called ShipIt by Seth Godin. The book is designed to ask questions so you can have a clear idea of your project, examine all the pitfalls and ladders, then direct the project into clear writing, so that, your project can come to life. The question that stood out the most: What does perfect look like? "the perfect gift book has to redefine gifting. It's a reference book and a reference point; meaning people can point to it because it is the best possible way to explain the idea that simply says, I went out of my way to inspire you" 


Out of all the people I know, and I met you the day I was born. So behind my mother, grandmother, your mother and my father, your arguably between the 5th or 6th person I was introduced to. And even though I'm still finding out more about  your story, and have met so many lessons in between. You're the person I can point to when I talk about going out of your way the farthest because of what you allow yourself to believe in. I don't know if you hear that enough from places outside of yourself, and it probably doesn't matter all that much because the voice you are listening to must encourage you often.  But I promised myself long ago, I would say it when I see it, because I do know that I am augmented when I make that connection. You live that. It must be the same thought that prods you while you ride and ascend distance. I can only imagine how audible the ideas are then, or what perfect looks like during those rides. And the feeling that follows a finish line. 


Yawanko for permitting your path and sharing with us. There is great medicine in you! 


          Your friend, 
                Lotni









No comments:

Post a Comment